I lied about being the outdoor type

Sunday, May 24, 2009


I lied about being the outdoor type
(photo from a fateful day of 3 flat tires)

I recently came across this quote:
“I’ll be an anthropologist no matter what my job title is” (Jade Delisle)

I think it describes the conclusion I have come to about myself over the last few years. During the second half of my Anthropology Honours year I applied for a number of Anthropology jobs, propelled by the thought of AusStudy being cut-off and having to increase by nightfill hours at Bi-Lo to make ends meet. I was lucky enough to be interview for the first job I applied for and furthermore, I was offered the job.

I moved up to the Northern Territory and began working as an applied Anthropologist for an NT Government statutory body. Over the next few years I thoroughly enjoyed many aspects of the job and discovered that I did not like others (driving out bush has come to scare the bejesus out of me to the point where I don’t really enjoy any type of 4-wheel drive ‘adventure’, on the other hand I love being with people, hearing their stories, I love research and organising data).

After 3 years, overwhelmed by my 4-wheel drive panic attacks and wanting to hide from the problems within Central Australia (racism, poverty etc), I packed it in and moved to Melbourne with my boyfriend. There I worked admin jobs within private enterprise, hiding from Anthropology. I had entertained the idea of becoming a town planner but forgot about it until I found myself between jobs. I enrolled in a Planning Grad Dip delivered online to external students. This is the point where I should say that ‘I never looked back’, however throughout my subjects I have found returning to Anthropology. Anthropology has greatly influenced and informed my Planning studies. I can’t escape it and nor do I want to. I can be a town planner, but I’ll always be an anthropologist.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...