Life in the fast lane

Monday, July 20, 2009

Last week I was struck down by the flu. Besides a valiant attempt to attend work on Wednesday that ended with a colleague asking ‘why aren’t you at home?’, so it was bed to be for me.

Spending this time at home gave me an opportunity to finishRich Girl, Poor Girl by Lesley Lokko over two days. It’s wonderful to be able to devour a book in one or two sittings. You are able to immerse yourself into the story and forget all else. This book surprised me with the direction it took. There were background elements to the characters which I thought would have driven the story further but didn’t, however as a whole I was completely drawn into the story, not wanting to put it down so I could read what happens next.

It’s great when there are elements of the book’s characters that you can relate to or that make you reaffirm yourself. The character of Caryn, in particular her attitude to money, resinated with me. I, like a lot of people, have worked to be where I am and have what I have and sometimes the pride of that gets in the way of me allowing nice things to happen to me. Nic, with her insatiable desire to be liked while appearing as though she doesn’t need anyone also resonated. And Tory’s fiancĂ©’s undying love and ability to always be there reminded me so much of Nick and how lucky I am to have him in my life. Books are wonderful things, what shall I read next?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...