Fancy seeing a flick?

Friday, November 13, 2009

Today is the first day of the rest of my life, well the first day of my post exams post post-grad life. After my way to early morning run (complete with way to early contact with day release community service Clean up Australia prisoners) I've spent the morning catching up on blogs and training myself to like soy milk.
 photo 2009_an_education_010-1_zpsfsgetmac.jpg
On the blog front I have been alerted to two movies that I absolutely have to see....An Education, directed by Lone Scherfig and Written by Nick Hornby. I love Nick Hornby's writing. If you've ever seen About a Boy and not read the book, go read the book. As usual you'll love it as much if not more than the film, especially the Nirvana references. I hate to describe this movie as such but An Education is a coming of age film set in 1961. A girl's world is expanded and set on a different path after a chance meeting with an older handsome stranger. The movie has been adapted by Hornby from journalist Lynn Barber's memoirs of life as a schoolgirl in the 60s and I'm a sucker for 60s stories, especially the clothes, if I could dress in any era this would be it.
< photo Julianne-Moore-in-A-Single-Guy_zpsenuv1uwz.jpg
I didn't quite get what A Single Man is about from the trailer, however, it did make me want to see the movie. Also set in the 60s, A Single Man is beautifully shot with fabulous set and costume design, starring three of my favourite actors, Colin Firth, Julianne Moore and Ginnifer Goodwin.

I also want to see Date Night starring Tina Fey - Tina Fey is my hero. I'll see anything she creates or is a part of. She's awesome.

There are times when I miss living in Melbourne and having Mondays off. The Nova Cinema in Carlton has movies for $5.50 all day. If you time it right you can see 3 movies before 5pm. Makes for a lovely day. Plus you get to see all sorts of movies you probably wouldn't see if you were shelling out $15 a pop.

Thanks to So Much to Tell You for telling me about An Education and to Ringo, have a Banana! for telling me about A Single Man

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...