Becoming Xena

Sunday, December 20, 2009

In October I took up the couch to 5km (C25K) challenge. I’ve dabbled in running before, heading out for my notorious run/walks which generally involved more walking than running. Through the magic of twitter I’d heard about C25K and inspired by @thedesignfiles I decided that C25K would be how I’d become ‘a runner’.

C25K is a trice weekly podcast aimed at training you to run. It starts out with small running intervals with brisk walks in between and builds to a 5k run. While in the past I never thought I’d be able to do anything like this, this time I went for ‘positive thinking’ and an ‘I can do it’ attitude (I don’t blame you if you feel like hitting me right now). Each week I went straight onto the next week not allowing myself to be discouraged by thoughts of ‘Dear God I’ll never make it’. I figured that if the program was developed to help you run then who am I to say that each stage is ‘too scary’. And guess what? It worked! I am now able to run for 30mins or 5kms without stopping!

By late November most Alice Springs days were above 36 degrees Celsius and running out doors became unbearable (not to mention the flies) so I’ve taken the plunge and joined the gym up here. Not only that, I’ve now got a weights program in addition to my cardio. I’ll be Xena in no time.

If you're feeling inspired you can download the Couch to 5k program here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...