Our town

Friday, March 14, 2014

 photo sunrise-3_zps9a4f726a.jpg photo sunrise-2_zps47031129.jpg photo Sunrise-1_zpsee1203e8.jpg
This little town has so many comings and goings. People passing through, tourists, those on short term contracts, those starting out then getting offered something better in the big city, those who have lived here all their lives and want to move to experience somewhere else too. But this town also experiences so much loss. I had never known so many people who have lost someone close to them, well before their time, until I moved here. I'm unsure what it is about this place. Maybe it's just that the town is so small and we know so many of the people that it feels like so many or that I'm in my mid thirties and that's what happens, but then within the group that I went to school with and my parents friends there hasn't been anywhere near so much loss. Sure, people have been diagnosed, but they've recovered and certainly no accidental deaths.

This week we experienced three losses. Friends lost their mum, a work colleague lost her sister and another colleague is in ICU - all cancer. Is it just that the GPs here don't pick up cancer soon enough for early intervention? Is there something in the water? Is it the month of March? Makes me wonder what on earth it is about this town... Too many people gone too soon. 

Wednesday was a funeral and a wake with a 100th Celebration of our board at work in the middle. It was a crazy day and a crazy week and I'm sure all the more crazy for the close family. Here's to the weekend being here, it's been a long time coming. And to climbing down from Anzac Hill this morning, running down Wills Tce to Undoolya Road to find sunshine streaming down onto Casa Nostra. Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy. 
 photo sunrise-4_zps71064e6c.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...