Gone Girl - a Valentine's story

Saturday, February 14, 2015

 photo gone-girl_zpsvbpisdzw.jpg
I never thought I'd have time to read this book & that I'd just see the move instead, but as 2015 has turned out to be the year in which I have made time to read & have finished a lot of novels (unlike last year in which i just kept starting new books and had a few on the go, but not finished), I thought I should read the book before I see the movie. The book is always a bit better than the movie just by having more of a chance to fill the reader with the back story, develop characters and add more complexity to the plot.

I managed to find a copy at the Coles Complex Newsagent (Alice peeps, they have expanded their range of books and have one or two copies of most recent/popular releases) and started reading on the plane to Melbourne. In the beginning the characters are a little annoying and I was starting to wonder why the book had become so popular. Then a flight attendant paused to let me know that the movie is so good and watching it made him want to read the book.

Then he said something that was tantamount to the Simpson's episode where Homer walks out of Star Wars saying 'who would have thought that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father?' Anyway I won't repeat what he said but it made me intrigued. I got stuck into the booked and completely sucked in. I then was obsessed with reading it so that I could finish it & watch the movie with Nick so we could discuss it. This book is the highlight of everything I have read in the last month (I've finished 6 novels) & I don't think anything else I read this year will surpass it (surprise me 2015!). If you have time, then please read this book before seeing the movie. The book is a far more richer experience.

Spoiler alert!
I'm not going to discuss exactly what happened in the novel but I don't think that I can even vaguely discuss the book without giving something away.



The complexity of Amy wasn't fully realised in the film, not all her motivations came through. I think she is just such a brilliant character. This idea that we are all just pretending to be who we are. A different person for each situation or person. But then the 'true us' shows through at some point, if we let it. Marriage as a two sides situation where we show what we want to show, to each other, and to the world. Wearing each other down or building each other up. Are we just 'made for each other'? The idea that we wouldn't work with anyone else?

Parents unknowingly shaping their children into who they are. The creepy thing of her parents making a character that is like her but better. The pressure and knowledge that you are disappointing your parents. But also parents who are oblivious to who their children are. Do we ever know everything about another person? Nick's character was also shaped by his parents as much as Amy.

Have you read the book/and or seen the movie? What was your take on it? Did you like the ending? I was a little disappointed as my quest for justice wanted a judicial charge (though in the past I have loved stories that don't pan out as they 'should'). Gillian Flynn talks about the ending in this interview and it makes sense as to why she ended it as she did - Amazing Amy just couldn't end up in jail.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...